Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Top Three Experiences With my Dad


By popular request, I am going to tackle the first of my topics in this post. Audra and Chrissy asked for me to post what "my top three experiences with my Dad" were. First let me say that I was very lucky to have had many years of shared experiences with my father and have myriad special memories of events we shared. I can never do justice to picking only three - but will attempt to stick to my guns and relate in this post only one of the three diverse and poignant experiences with my best friend ever.

First - I must admit that I always knew my Dad was "there" as a parent. I did have lots of interaction with him from birth on - but the first real memory of him helping ONLY me (really focused on me!) was when I was in first grade (I will attach the class photo - ha, ha!)
. Back in the day, we made a "Valentine's box" and decorated it to take to school. Our classmates would bring Valentine's cards for all of their friends and put them in the respective boxes. Obviously we were all excited when ever we would get an envelope with those candy hearts that had "Love" or "Friend" imprinted in them. Well anyway, Mom had sent me down to the local grocery store (it seemed like I was constantly going there for her) to fetch a discarded cardboard box. So that night after supper, Dad and Mom were sitting in the living room talking while Morgan, Nancee and I played - or in my case fixed up my Valentine's box. The short story is that I cut far too many holes in the wrong places and thoroughly ruined my box (or so I thought). I was sitting there trying to hold back the tears while Mom laughed at me. Dad came over and asked me what I was working on and I explained. I was so upset because we were to bring our boxes to school the next day and I had no time to obtain another box and get it decorated. He asked if he could help and I handed him the shredded mess. Within 15 minutes he had retrieved my honor with masking tape and some very creative resizing of the box. I was astonished, proud of my smart Dad and very pleased that Susan Weight would have a slot in a box from Dennis to shove her loving Valentine's Card into!!! The next two post will continue my "top" list with Dad. Thanks for reading. By the way - which one is Dennis and which one is Susan?

6 comments:

Greybear said...

I am the tallest boy in the class on the back row, standing next to Miss Condie

Greybear said...

Oh, by the way - if you enlarge the photo you'll notice that my zipper is half way down. Ha, ha, ha!

Audra said...

I have never heard that story. Loved it. Your dad was very good at fixing things. I love that.

That is funny about your fly being down. I don't know which one Susan is. Due tell.

Petie said...

Oh, I was thinking that was you, poor boy...only one with glasses. and that zipper, had to go back and look...hilarious!

That is such a fun story of Grandpa. He did like to fix things. :) and that wedding picture, oh man! If I look close enough I can see the resemblance of them when they were older, but it takes me a second. And those slide shows with you so young...interesting. :) Thanks!

Audra said...

You look like Matt.

Love the crazy horse on the sidebar. You are nuts!

Travis said...

Don't feel so bad. The kid next to you had his fly down, too!